Warning signs that your child may be abusing technology:
- Suddenly turning off the phone, computer, or gaming device when you enter the room.
- If you have access to their Facebook account or share an e-mail address and notice a decrease in activity or fewer e-mails – this could mean they have set up another account.
- Lying about their internet activity, Facebook friends or suspicious posts or pictures.
- Usage of computers, gaming devices, or cell phones seems excessive. So instead of technology being a small part of their life, it becomes a time consuming highly valued and prominent aspect of their life which interferes with school, family and other healthy social activities
- They are no longer willing to share a password with you or change a password they previously shared.
- Internet history and or “cookies are regularly deleted.
- Highly defensive or annoyed when you inquire about their internet activity or use of their phone or gaming device.
- Secrecy about what they are doing on the computer, gaming device, or phone.
- Usage of computers, gaming devices, or cell phones at night or after bedtime.
- Unusual amounts of pop-ups begin to appear on the computer that your child is using.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter and weekly devotional