Psalm 39:4-5 (NLT), “4 LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away. 5 My life is no longer than the width of my hand. An entire lifetime is just a moment to you; human existence is but a breath.”
Young people, in general, often feel that they are invincible and they have all the time in the world. As you get older, you discover that it is simply not true. I am reminded of the old adage, “The days are long, but the years are short.”
We are responsible for making the most of what God has given us, in all areas. And since we are not promised tomorrow, a few principal things enter my mind as I am reminded daily of what I need to do with my life, and more importantly, what I need to teach the young men at PAYH to consider with their lives.
1. Turn WHEN Into NOW
Psalm 118:24 says, “This is the day that the LORD has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.” Make good use of today’s opportunities, be thankful, and don’t let them pass by.
Proverbs 27:1, “Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.” You are not promised tomorrow. Your time is best managed if you maximize the moment.
2. Turn INTENTIONS Into ACTIONS
If you’ve ever raised kids, you have probably used the phrase, “You know better.” How many people are incarcerated today that would tell you, “I didn’t intend to kill them.” “I didn’t intend to get behind the wheel and drive my car into that family that all died in the crash.” Intentions do not solve the issue. You must put an action behind it.
James 4:17 gives us this wise counsel, “Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, commits sin.” I especially like the way Proverbs 3:27 says, “Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor, “Come back later; I’ll give it tomorrow” — when you now have it with you.” Jentezen Frankin preached a wonderful sermon series that sums up the mindset that we all need to adopt, “I am the one. This is the place. And Now is the time.”
3. Turn Your WHOLE HEART Toward Jesus. Following this simple truth will align your direction correctly. I have heard it said by many that being a Christian is hard. I disagree respectfully. Following Christ by releasing everything over to him is not difficult. It becomes problematic when you turn over to Him 95% of yourself and hold on to the other 5%. If a person gives all but a few percent, then it becomes burdensome. That is when Christianity becomes tough.
I leave you with this final thought-provoking question: Knowing that life is brief, what spiritual changes do you need to make?
Save The Date!
PAYH continues the tradition Paul Anderson started years ago. Our bike ride is always one of the Home’s largest fundraising events. Anderson, a world-class athlete, stressed physical fitness as one component of honoring God. His philosophy, through his lessons, of how keeping your body physically fit is as important as exercising the mind, filling it with positivity and prayer.
The ride is scheduled for July 8-14, 2023. You can contribute to the ride by texting BIKERIDE to 71777, scan the QR Code above, or going online to payhbikeride.com
Get To Know The Riders
The young men now are a few weeks into practice. They are coming along quite nicely. Click here to take a sneak peek into how it’s going during week two. Click here to get a recap of week three.
This month’s volunteer spotlight is Danielle Hutcheson. Danielle has been a strong supporter of the bike ride for many years now. She participates in the weekly Saturday training, provides tips for a more substantial ride, takes pictures and videos, and conducts interviews with the guys throughout their rides. She is always ready to contribute with a smile and a willing attitude. Thank you, Danielle, for your dedication to these young men and the Kingdom work at PAYH.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter and weekly devotional
This ministry has endured since 1961 because God has blessed us with faithful partners. Through friends like you, He ensures that we have the help we need to accomplish our mission. Click the button below to learn more, whether you’re interested in volunteering, making a one-time gift, or becoming a monthly contributor.